The Annie E. Casey Foundation has released its annual KIDS COUNT Data Book. South Carolina ranks 41st in Education, 37th in Family and Community, 36th in Health and 34th in Economic Well-Being.
Some South Carolina data points from the report:
- 74% of 8th graders not proficient in math
- 71% of 4th graders not proficient in reading
- 53% (63,000) children age 3-4 not in school
- 41% (418,000) children in single-parent families
- 23% (249,000) children living in poverty
- 17% of high school students not graduating on time
- 13% (138,000) children living in high-poverty areas
- 12% (129,000) children in families where the household head lacks a high school diploma
- 4% (44,000) children without health insurance
Read the full report: http://www.aecf.org/resources/2018-kids-count-data-book/.